15 October 2009

Part VIII ::: The end of the onslaught of German photos!

OK, well, I might have a couple more things up my sleeves, but this is the offical last giant post. =)

Before I arrived, I had read up on Frankfurt's Apfelwein. I couldn't wait to try it. It's always served in a "Geripptes", a glass with a lozenge cut that refracts light. According to Wikipedia, "the serration of the Apfelwein glasses is common not only for the pleasing refraction of incident light but also because in former times one often ate without cutlery—and smooth glasses slide from greasy hands rather more easily than serrated ones." Each place had their own glasses, with adorable designs... and I learned on our little bus tour that if a biergarten/bar/pub had a green wreath hanging over its sign, it meant they had their own apple press on site and make their own apple wine!

Now, as my coworker will attest, it was not enjoyable. It almost tasted like dirty feet at first. But we were glad we did! Then we went on our bus tour, where the recording told us that everyone who tries it hates it at first... and that you have to have a second to appreciate it. It grows on you. =)


For the record, it went very well with a giant pretzel with butter. (Random but phenomenally delish! Apparently a Bavarian treat!)


So, because it was Saturday, there was an ENORMOUS market!!!!!! Heaven!!!! Vegetarians might want to scroll quickly...






Bratwurst, bockwurst, rindswurst as far as the eye can see!


Some fruit for good measure.


Honey...


They love their schwein!




Oooh! Another non-meat product!


Oh wait, that was short lived. More sausages.


Nothing that says "Germany" about this pic, but I liked it anyway!


Do we have these ketchup/mustard devices over here? I've never seen them before. They're so efficient! Like giant condiment udders.


Old vs. new!


Skyscrapers!


This one even in the diamond print of the apfelwein glasses... =)


Speaking of which, we retired to one of the biergarten barges later in the afternoon ... and yes, I gave it a second shot! And the tour was totally right. =)






Where else but Germany would they put Haribo Gummy Bears on your pillow instead of chocolates?! Yum!


Doors and windows!










And the best for last, the pub pooch.




And that's all she wrote! Danke schön! =)


4 comments:

  1. Love all the meat :)

    Those hot dog dispensers are pure genius - I love good design.

    That pup is to die for cute!!

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. What fun. I don't think I've ever seen so many kinds of sausage and "wursts" in my life. Makes me want to burp just looking at 'em. Oy.

    Love the doors and windows. Love the walnuts. Craving a beer.

    Oh! Those condiment udders--genius and skeevy all at once. My college dining hall had milk coming from similar-ish udders and it took me MONTHS to convince myself to pour a glass. Yuck.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love all of the Germany pictures. And I totally want a bier in a biergarten.

    ReplyDelete
  4. All of the pics have been wonderful. MAN what talent you have. Just oozing outta ya!
    I'm serious when I tell you that I want to print over half of them just to hand in my house. GREAT shots.
    :)

    ReplyDelete