20 February 2009

Home Sweet Teeny, Tiny Home ::: Advice needed...

OK, so I'm using this low-key evening to post something I've been meaning to post forever... especially since I would love some input. =)

This is my silly, tiny little home here near the water on the Connecticut Shoreline. It's an old summer cottage, nothing fancy, and it's roughly 600 square feet. It's the perfect size with just a kitchen, living room, bedroom, second bedroom that is a giant walk-in closet/laundry room, bathroom and loft office. I bought it back in 2003 (and 2008.) ;)

I'm ALLLL about fun, bright, and colorful... as you will see. But I want to get rid of the green in all the photos in favor of some blue. A crisp cottagey, beachy blue... same idea of the lighter shade over the darker shade, separated by the white chair rail.

(I feel like I should do a slideshow...)

Outside in warmer weather... ahhhh...


What it looks like currently... siiiiiigh.


Lots of random shots of the living room from over the years.


From the galley kitchen




Kitchen










Alternating tread stair up to my office/loft (if I could make it a studio, I would, but I don't have the height)


The view down


Upstairs


Where my desk currently is... haha.


Before I loaded it up with crap...






And just for good measure, bedroom


And bathroom




I love it. It's cozy, it's wicked easy to clean, it forces me to try not to be a pack rat, it's cheap to heat and A/C, it's the perfect size for Grover and me, it's right near the water, cute little neighborhood, fenced in yard, huge deck, 15 minute commute to work, and close to town... given that I refinanced a few months ago, I should be here for a while. Doesn't get better than that!

So, the dilemma. Trying to find someone to paint this one room for me relatively inexpensively. Those of you following me on Twitter and Facebook can now see why I say it's labor intensive. That's all real wood paneling that has to be painted. ;) Here it was freshly painted 6 years ago. Been there, done that. It's time for a change. Everything that's green needs to be made blue. Any suggestions on color? I'm totally clueless on what color to use, and I'm terrified to go with one and have it look awful. I have a brown leather sofa in the living room now, along with brown and blue pillows.


Hope I didn't bore you all too much. I've been debating hosting a Painting Party as many of you have poked me about just doing that and have even volunteered... (crazy people!!!!) but I don't think we could all FIT. =) Hehehe! Pizza and beer for everyone!!! And cookies!!! And everyone takes a wood slat! Hahaha... I just think it would be pretty close quarters. I could be wrong... =D

So if you have any friends who are painters, or can recommend someone I should call, feel free to share. I'm open to all suggestions! =)

13 comments:

  1. I love picking paint colors. I would go with you to Home Depot any day to get some samples. Let's do it!!

    (I have a buttload of swatches in my coffee table that I am "saving" for the day (when?) I get around to painting my house! I can bring some!)

    Now that they sell those little cans, we can easily try out a couple and you can live with them for a few days before you commit. Win-win!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh, I would love to pick out paint colors. When I was doing my "lighthouse bathroom" that had a chair rail, I was going to do a sand color (complete with the sand that they mix into the paint) on the bottom and a sky blue on top.
    Yeah, I guess that doesn't help you...but I think bue will look awesome in that room. Can't wait to see what you come up with!

    ReplyDelete
  3. oooooh. I'm doing my *new* house in blues and grays and just 'borrowed' a House Beautiful Jan 09 magazine from the dentists office today with a page full of blue paint colors. I'll send those to you...

    and it said if you use a flat paint it will make the blue warmer whereas a semi-gloss/satin will make if feel cooler...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Julia, I was just looking through my stack of magazines that I brought to the hospital yesterday, and there was a beautiful blue cottage-y room, that I was swooning over. Now I read your blog! I'll go back through them today, I'm not sure which it was, and can see if either I can get a link to the article online, or I can mail you the pictures, just for an idea!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Woohoo!!! I need all the help I can get, so yes, Eileen, I will take you up on that offer. =)

    And those of you who have my mailing and or email address, feel free to send me clippings. I know what I like when I see it, but of course, I'm not seeing it anywhere... I'm a visual person who needs a lot of help. I can't just pick something without seeing the complete look somewhere else. I don't have "vision." LOL...

    ReplyDelete
  6. SUCH an adorable abode. We need to find a place like that! :)

    I think beachy blue is definitely the way to go. i would stay away from any "sea foam" colors because with the cool light from the shade of the trees, it will look green.

    try this article to see if it helps: http://ezinearticles.com/?The-Best-Paint-Colors-For-Small-Rooms&id=673843

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Cool! Julia--let's figure out a day for me to drive down. I would looove to get involved. =) I can live vicariously through you. The BEST magazine for ideas and inspiration is Cottage Living. Yum.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I wish I was better at picking paint colors but it is so hard. Maybe go to Home Depot and buy those mini cans of paint and see what you think. And yes you know I'd come to a painting party so call me if you have one :) xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  10. How freaking cute! I love it! Great job with it. Love the colors and that railing is an art piece in itself!

    ReplyDelete
  11. no help here on colors or painters. Thanks for the peak into your home. I love your little place!

    ReplyDelete
  12. OMG I love your house. It's so pretty and so well just wonderful!
    Love the loft office and the whole thing is just perfect!

    Not much help on the painting but just wanted to say LOVE the crib!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I don't have much advise on color, although blue is my fav....I like the darker beachy shades my self. I just love checking in here to see what you're up to!!!! Danielle was here :)

    ReplyDelete