17 July 2009

Pac-Man Cookies ::: Life's Simple Pleasures

Every time I visited my grandmother in Rhode Island growing up, we made a special trip to the Vienna Bakery. She always had to pick up fresh bran muffins in a pink box tied with string pulled from the ceiling, a pack of "torpedo rolls" for sandwiches for my grandfather, and... a Pac-Man cookie for me.

It was the early to mid-80s. Of COURSE everything was Pac-Man. It was such a simple design, and yet, made so many kids happy to see that shelf full of yellow, sugary goodness. It made up for the fact I had to eat a bran muffin the following morning.

My grandmother still lives in the same town, but now in lovely facility around the corner from her house. As I've mentioned with all of my recent family photo finds, things are being cleaned out slowly. My mom spent this past week there going through everything and visiting my grandma on her birthday.

Well, on her way home, she surprised me this afternoon with the best gift EVER. Vienna Bakery STILL makes Pac-Man cookies. =) TRAYS of them!!!! And 30 years later, they taste and look exactly the same. Talk about the perfect comfort food!!!!



Do kids even know who Pac-Man is? My mother told the woman behind the counter that this would totally make her 32 year old daughter's day, and the woman was thrilled. But I have a feeling I'm not the only whose day is made by these cookies... they appear to still fly off the shelves. :)

4 comments:

  1. That was an awesome story! So cute! PacMan cookies...I know what cake you are getting next year!!!!
    Carol

    ReplyDelete
  2. You'll be happy to hear this conversation with my 7 year old when she saw the picture...

    Her: HaHa!
    Me: It's a cookie!
    Her: PacMan, actually.

    So, there ya go. lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome. Sweet, sweet story. I love childhood memories like those...You just totally made my day. And I love that your Mom thought to buy you this. And I love that you stopped to take a picture of it before eating it!

    ReplyDelete