05 April 2009

::: My First Camera :::

After spending today's GORGEOUS weather running myself ragged shopping, raking, leaf blowing, cleaning the house, cleaning my car, and having to deal with a dead squirrel who decided to fall out of a tree RIGHT in front of my front door, I crashed on the couch super hard, with a bottle of Advil and a heating pad. And decided to poke around on Google images and eBay. :)

I had this sudden memory of my very first "camera" and I HAD to find a picture of it. And voila... eBay came through!

Did any of you children of the 70s and 80s have this? It was the BEST! You wet the sponge and it "developed" the "pictures." And the little flash blub turned. I wore this thing out.


Of course, I graduated to these later on...


And as a 13 year old girl, who didn't LOVE a pink, turquoise and purple LeClic that took that absurd disk film? (And for the record, it totally matched my pink and purple Huffy 10 speed.)


Thankfully, my parents were both amateur photographers and had this baby from before *I* was a baby that I was able to learn on. (I believe this camera took that very same newborn picture of yours truly!)


That Olympus... man, who wasn't subjected to an entire youth of self-timed set-ups... you know, the ones where mom and Julia sit patiently while Dad sets it up, and then dashes into (barely!) the frame just in the nick of time?


(And while we're at it, you gotta love the 80s attire here. For the record, I had hot pink Jelly shoes on, just off camera. And that was my cat Puss E. Willow.)

I carried that camera all over England when I lived there (and Scotland as well.) It even made a few cameos...


But when I moved back home, I was conveniently "given" a Nikon 35mm all of my very own. :) Still have it, but haven't really used it since I switched to Canon when I went digital. :P

Ahhh... memories!!!

6 comments:

  1. OH MY GOD ---'Le Clic' - i remember those!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I laughed out loud at the toy camera...MEMORIES! I had that exact same one!

    I adore seeing all of your images from growing up!

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG! I think I had a snappy shots!

    ReplyDelete
  4. blast from the past...i had the very same Le Clic...and i'm not sure i've EVER felt cooler!!! :-) of course, i didn't have a bike to match it, but at the time i thought my banana seat lime green bike was kinda cool in and of itself!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. that's awesome!!! Blast from the past!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. So fun. At first I thought that toy camera was familiar. I definitely had something similar where the "flash" on top rotated with every push of the "shutter." But I don't recall anything like the fake print with a wet sponge! Of course mine was probably ahand-me-down that was missing the most important part! Love the old shots of you. =)

    ReplyDelete