14 October 2009

Part VII ::: Frankfurt!

It's not over yet! =)

My last day in Germany was spent exploring Frankfurt. Since it was an entirely free day, with no actual work involved, I of course went a little snap happy.

Frankfurt is a really interesting city, a complex mish-mash of old and new. It is the financial center of Germany and there are many modern buildings nad skyscrapers contrary to what you might think.

Crossing over the River Main.






Pub barges!!!!


Awesome.


Love all these random guys...



(Look! Grapes!)

Tavern below street level, in the basement of city hall. =)


The main plaza, Romer.










Doors!




Amazing organ inside one of the churches...


And really cool stained glass.


This shop made me smile...


Especially when I saw this in the window. Grover would have loved it. It really is a dog toy!


Just some shots from around the market










Perfect example of the juxtaposition of old vs. new. The Old Opera House (Alte Oper) was completely destroyed when it was bombed in WWII in 1944. Thankfully it was restored in 1981, after 40 years of living as "Germany's Most Beautiful Ruin."




Inside...


=) I loved finding random English all over the place.


More old vs. new...







Looks like I have to break it up into two posts. Hehehe.

2 comments:

  1. I love your pictures! I have only been to the Frankfort airport and I see I have missed a lot of the city.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Julia..
    I'm hooked..! I love your composition and the way you "see".. I was in Frankfurt about 20 years ago and obviously "missed" a lot.. Very creative and interestion photos..!

    Robin N

    ReplyDelete