12 November 2009

One of a kind and never, ever forgotten.

It occurred to me last night while talking to a friend that I still haven't really addressed Grover's passing on my blog. While I've certainly accepted the reality of it, it's still incredibly hard to actually put into words that he is no longer with me. I took a slew of photos the last night he was with me, I burned two disks, saved them on two external hard drives, my laptop, and I can't bring myself to clear the compact flash card. I drive around with one disk in my car, and I carry the flash card with me in my camera bag. I can't bring myself to do anything with them yet, and I'm terrified of losing them.

In the mean time, I had to share with all of you how amazing my friends and family and acquaintances are. I have mentioned in countless emails and Facebook messages and phone calls and posts that I am still incredibly overwhelmed by how beloved Grover was by SO many people. The outpouring of love has been almost disconcerting. Here I am, destroyed by losing my best friend, and all I can think of is how sad his passing has made so many people! It also troubles me how eloquent and kind and wonderful every single person has been to me... I've never read such beautiful, thoughtful, well-written outpourings of the heart as I have these past two months. I hope I can be as supportive and eloquent when people need ME to lean on.

I wanted to share a couple things that... well, I can't even seem to find the words that do these justice. I've always been into photography my whole life, but Grover was really the catalyst for me. He made me really push myself into doing it a little more professionally 4 or so years ago. He was my favorite subject, the most willing participant, and downright hysterical. :) So, I have my handful of absolute favorite images that everyone else seems to treasure as well, but I don't necessarily have them hanging up in my house.

Imagine my surprise when I was gifted these amazing, unique, one of a kind pieces based on those favorite photos:

Gorgeous oil painting gifted to me by my dear friends Cathy, Christie, David, Kim, Liz and Sue...



Beautiful painting by my friend Angela who chose to make Grovie's beanie on his head into a heart. LOVE LOVE LOVE.



These paintings join the other one of a kind "things" I have collected over the years that have been handmade by other talented friends. Like my Grover sculpture by my dear friend Barb:



And my Grover Poochface from Pam that I won in a photography contest years ago.



Everywhere I turn, Grover is still with me.

I have necklaces of him, his pawprint in plaster, and of course, about a kabillion frikabytes of photos from the day he walked into my life 8 years ago. :)

And then this arrived today, which inspired me to post... I'm a blubbering mess. My dear friend Robin, an incredible woodworker and artist, made this with "Pointillism" - the practice of applying small dots to a surface so that from a distance, they blend together.



Along with a poem she wrote for "us." Seriously, grab the Kleenex. I'm giving you fair warning.

Your Grover-Man
I saw you first, your loving eyes
You kissed my head, I'd become your prize!

Your Grover-man, that's who I'd be,
From now through all eternity.

McDonald's fries, now that may be
The favorite food I'll ever see!

My mommy dear, please hear my heart,
I've adored you from the very start!

My funny looks, my teeth, my nose,
My crazy antics, an afternoon doze...

In snow we'd run, in spring we'd play,
I promised to love you day by day.

Just us alone, it's got to be,
God's plan for us, jus' Mommy and me.

We'd love, we'd sleep, we'd play, we'd see
A life of love through photography!

As time does by, I can really see,
You're happiest now, just you and me!

I've helped you lean, I've helped you heal,
I know time helps the way you'll feel.

As the time has come that I must go,
There's something that I want you to know.

When the time is right, with the way you feel,
Find another little heart to help you heal.

A bully boy or a bully gal
I know you'll find the proper pal!

And know dear Mom, I'll always be
The bully-boy you taught me to be.

I leave you now, off to "the Bridge",
The first thing I'll do is find the fridge. :)

Know this, dear Mom, my heart will be
With yours through all eternity.

I love you Momma,
Your Grover


I have the best friends ever. I'm so grateful.

XOXO

Julia

6 comments:

  1. Dawn~Stryker~Jayda12 November, 2009 23:25

    Oh, Julia! You have wonderful & talented friends! Everything you posted is wonderful! The oil painting is absolutely gorgeous!
    I really believe Grover had a paw in getting Gretl to you. I'll always remember Grover. You truly took such wonderful pictures of him! I felt like I knew him. =0)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow that is quite overwhelming. What a gift you and Grover gave to so many of us. He will truly live on in the hearts of so many.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow that poem is just awesome - makes me sniffle too. What amazing gifts and art! xxoo

    ReplyDelete
  4. you have amazing friends. tears are flowing...i can not see...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Speechless. Incredible. All of them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh Julia - that is so awesome. You and Grover really have touched so many people. The paintings and artwork and the poem are such thoughtful and loving gifts. Thank you for sharing them with us.

    xoxo, Trish & Sanford

    ReplyDelete