17 May 2010

"To complete, not compete..."

A couple weeks ago, I started running. I've never been a runner. Even when I was in phenomenal shape as a competitive swimmer, running was my nemesis. It still is.

With the "invention" of the Couch to 5k program a couple of years ago, I've been inspired to try again. So many friends of mine have done it soooo successfully.

A friend of mine convinced me to do the Greenleaf 5k in New London, CT two weeks ago. I had planned on walking the whole thing, just to have fun, enjoy the experience, and having the ability to say I did a 5k. "To complete, not compete," as she told me.

The start was so exciting and the energy was so infectious that I got swept away and ended up running a lot more than I expected. I was still WAAAAAY behind everyone... :) But it was so much fun passing each mile check-point, hearing what my split was, being given water, and being cheered on! My friend and some of her other friends were all there (having finished way ahead of me! :) ) at the finish line screaming for me. I did it! I "completed"!!!! And I had my very first number!!!!! And there were still 40 people behind me! I wasn't bringing up the rear. =D



Now that I've had a taste of the fun, the camaraderie, the thrill, the encouragement, the food, the raffle prizes, and the t-shirt (!), I cannot wait to do another one. The thing is though, I want to RUN. :) So, I keep plugging along with my intervals every other night after work... my neighborhood is PERFECT for "wogging." (Walk-jogging.) I use the Nike+ chip to tell me how far I went and my pace, and the C25k app on my iPod Touch. They also have C25k podcasts you can listen to. Both methods tell you exactly when to walk and when to run. It's brilliant. I have zero ability to police myself and the last thing I want to do is be trying to keep time AND run. I'd totally fall in a pothole.

Some days are better than others. But I'm getting faster, stronger, and someday I'll get there! :) I totally understand the addiction now. I can't wait for my next one!

5 comments:

  1. I love this post Julia! You should be so proud of yourself. Def. frame that race number. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. We need to do this together!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome! I'm running my first 5K in a few weeks. I'm only up to running about 25 minutes solid right now, and at a turtle's pace, but I figured better to just do it and not run the whole thing than to skip it. I haven't tried the nike+chip. I might have to check that out. The c25k app is fantastic though.

    Ack, just checked out the Nike+ chip and I don't wear NIke shoes (don't like them) and have the iphone 3G, not the 3Gs. Oh well.

    You keep rocking the running!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are not a slow poking wogger! Do as much or as little as you can, just have fun! 2 years ago I couldn't run a 1/4 mile. I did 6+ miles today & I lost 5 lbs. this week, but I also got dumped so that is good motivation to be skinnier! LOL.

    Nothing is impossible. I totally believe that. :)

    Hope you had fun in Block Island today. I finished the sweater so if you get the chance, check out the pic on my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  5. as always, love your photos. so happy to hear about you running! i'm just getting back to running. first 10k i did in the hamptons...my very first race...alone....my firend and i thought 10k=@4 miles....i started at the front....not knowing that the best start at the front of the line! i was running and running...wondering when it would end and found out that the 10k called "potatohampton" was 6.2 miles...a very bi difference from the 3 miles i was used to at that point! i finished. that's all that mattered. awesome feeling. good for you. your life just gets better and better!!!
    (

    ReplyDelete